Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Home, Sweet Home

Since you seem to have found your home for the winter, I guess I'll share our "Homecoming" story. We were pretty much running from the zombie horde that we met in Hoffman Estates and I said the hell with it--if we're going to die it's better to die at home, so we went back to the compound. I guess I wasn't expecting what we found when we got there.

The zombies were still there. All of them. It completely destroys every theory I've ever heard about zombies "sensing a living presence" or smelling fresh meat or whatever else they came up with back when the zombie apocalypse started. There was nothing in that compound except dead zombies, but they were still surrounding it like they were waiting for more people to come out. I don't know if it proves cognitive thought or what. They weren't even trying to get in--they were just...waiting. Then they saw us.

The term "All hell broke loose" was never quite as appropriate as it was at that moment when we saw about 200 walking corpses turn in unison to come toward us. The newbies we picked up were trying to pick them off with their guns, but they really weren't very good. Shawn and I did something we've become very good at recently -- vehicular zombie slaughter. We did laps around the inside of the compound in the trucks, crunching and grinding every stinking one of those things that got close to us. When we were done, we only had to cap about 10 of them with the guns--a great savings of ammo, if I do say so myself. We're going to modify these vehicles and put some nasty Deathrace 2000 shit on them for the next time we go out.

So for the last two weeks we've been throwing bodies out in a big pile and trying to fix the fences and doors and walls. We've got power again and that means the space heaters are up and going. The zombies never made it to the second floor, so a lot of our supplies are undisturbed. I think we're going to be okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment